Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Music - I Love Music!

I love music, and love to sing along with my favorite songs. That's quite normal, right?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to sing in the shower, and possibly not the only one to sing at the top of my lungs in my house when I'm alone. I can carry a tune, although I don't have a "recording-ready" voice. But that's not important, not for me.

Today I caught myself singing away while I was doing laundry. I don't even remember the song, or if it was one I made up. I just stopped and thought to myself – "If someone came in the door right now they would be laughing like crazy!"

And that's okay. I guess. I've been caught before, and after a fleeting moment of embarrassment, my life does go on.

I remember when my son and daughter were little. Almost since they could walk and talk, they loved music. It was a big part of their play. I think back fondly on their breakfast ritual before school – they sat at the table, humming merrily along between swallows of milk and cereal.

The part that made me smile – big – as I futzed around in the kitchen, was that they were both humming different songs, and totally oblivious to the other. It was cute, and it made me happy to hear them sound happy.

Now my kids are young adults, and last year they informed me that I used to hum all the time. They thought it quite the fun game to start humming some tune I would know, and... wait for it... I would start humming along. Then they would laugh silently at me. I'm sure because it was cute, right?


What is wrong with humming? It's happy, downright joyous! So I would say – there is nothing wrong with humming, or whistling, or singing. But if you are caught unexpectedly in the middle of a tune – is that embarrassing? Tune in tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. I love music too. I'll usually start singing a song, and then a half hour later, it's stuck in my husband's head. That's probably what your kids were doing to you with the humming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it was. They were sneaky little things... :-)

    ReplyDelete